10.20.2006

twofer

“I really like the permanence of what I do. That something I do today draws you in and keeps you there a long, long time. I like things that float…I can’t help it! Hinges, doors waiting to be opened, things that make little shaking noises. After all, where’s the fun if you can’t play with your jewelry?” Chihiro Makio

chihiro makio’s ‘tea for two’ is a playful, surprising piece of holloware and a 2006 saul bell award winner (second place, holloware). In 2003 makio also won second place and with work like this, i have no doubt that she’ll be back in the winner's circle in years to come.

thanks to judy dunn for bringing this gem to my attention. dunn is also an award winning artist. if her polymer clay vessels were miniature, they would fit right in with makio’s tea party: pear and apple shaped boxes replete with colorful embellishments and dunn's original drawings. (see below) they are, um, well…delicious.

No comments: