10.24.2006

inanimate objects


"Making baskets isn't something I "want" to do, it is something I "have" to do. The elemental nature of baskets, thinking about what can be placed in the basket, what gives life to the inanimate object of the basket, informs my work. the basket is the container of things needed to maintain my life. memories, mementos of my own life process, are kept in the baskets that I make." Marilyn Moore

noted for her color blending technique, basket artist marilyn moore weaves multiple strands of fine wires and threads, adding one new strand at a time. her technique is labor intensive, requiring a great deal of patience and mental energy. the practice is reminiscent of a meditation exercise. the result? iridescent baskets that seem to capture the light from within.

No comments: